Remember a year ago, everyone talked about climate change and the ongoing UN Climate Change Conference (COP15) in Copenhagen. I guess we were all disappointed about the outcome, but I nevertheless thought that there would be some energy left, resulting in some buzz around COP16 in Cancun. But it is so silent...
I have googled for climate change related, and in the best of cases also COP16 related, news articles today but not found many I have to admit. Why is that? Are the expectations so low that no one really cares, or is it the cold winter we have in large parts of the Europe that makes us less interested in the risks of higher temperatures? Or do we only have room in media for Wikileaks related disussions nowadays?
Well, as you know, I rank global warming as one of the most urgent challenges this planet faces. It is up there on the top of the list together with access to clean water. And yes, they are definitely interrelated.
So what news did I find using Google today? Honesly, not much! But here are a few examples:
- An article on Newsmill
- An invitation to a lecture by Bo Kjellén tonight
- Climate Change Performance Index 2011
- Interview with Mike Hulme regarding UN and climate chnage negotiations. He is not very optimistic...
- "Global Carbon Footprints", a report from Norden, the official co-operation of the Nordic region
- And then of course the official COP16 web page, but it really does not include any news today...
Hope to see more on climate change in the coming days, when COP16 approaches the final discussions and negotiations.